Re: [Official] Firmware_PV73200_v7.4.x.r7317
I've spent a good few hours today playing with the new firmware, and the results are encouraging - I haven't gone back to SDK3 for once.
Version 7137 seems faster and more responsive than the previous versions. I am using the Mini as a network streamer from my NAS boxes, so have turned off SAMBA and DLNA as I don’t need them. The initial speed of the firmware and the many fixes, especially for the jukebox, was what persuaded me to invest a lot more time in trying to take this firmware and make the mini into something usable again.
Trying to load my YAMJ index file into the Jukebox resulted in the Mini hanging. So, as per other posts in this topic it looks as though as swap partition is a good idea if you have a reasonable size Jukebox or other issues causing high memory utilisation. Thanks to Steffen’s work on the script and Duivels translation for how to mount a swap partition. http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=123822#p123822
I replaced my old USB memory stick for a USB drive (external power) and created a few partitions
1 – 10GB FAT32, mainly used for mount points for movies / pictures / photos, file transfer if I need it etc.
2 – 512MB Linux Swap File
3 – 10MB FAT32 partition used solely for a volume mount point for the Jukebox share. The startup script has been modified to mount this partition on startup, as well as the jukebox share to the mount point.
I’ve also modified the startup script, as I did with SDK3, to auto mount the content shares on my NAS onto volume mount points on the first USB drive – it saves time in menu key strokes and works better with the jukebox
The Jukebox share on my NAS is mounted onto its own volume, as the new firmware still insists on searching the entire drive for index files, so this speeds up locating the index file. I’ve also rebuilt the jukebox to take into account a new <playerpath> which reflects the changed mount points and volumes.
Rebuilding the Jukebox caused all of the Jukebox menus to show ‘All’ only and nothing else. I think I’ve seen where the problem may be and will do some more testing as other people have seen this problem as well.
The firmware is faster than previous, but not as fast as it should be – I’ve sent a PM to Tata to see if he has done any work to look at the process utilisation like he did with r5440. If I get time I’ll install optware and have a look myself.
Turning on indexing promptly killed the performance completely. I’ll leave it turned off, or run it occasionally overnight I think.
Although there are still some issues with this firmware I’m not going back to SDK3 yet, if I can work out the Jukebox menu issues then it will be a workable solution.
So full marks to AC Ryan for the effort that has clearly gone into this firmware, as it is the most usable SDK4 firmware yet, and a definite improvement over r5440. But, there are still things that need sorting out, all of which have been published many times before, but to name a few: -
• High processor utilisation seems to still be an issue, as the firmware is not as fast as it should be
• Based on the work Steffen has done, can you improve the swap areas – so that a swap file or partition is created on a usb drive if attached, it does make a difference
• The jukebox is now much improved, but can you stop truncating movie and series / episode names unless absolutely essential
• Once and index file has been loaded for the first time, make the jukebox load it automatically, it saves a lot of work pressing buttons on the remote. There are options already there to change to another index file
• Make shortcuts available to the jukebox
• Sort out the file naming used/accepted by the jukebox so it matches the published YAMJ standards, implemented in SDK3
Edit - first major 'family' complaint - browsing the Jukebox is too slow. The Jukebox files are on the faster of my NAS devices, and mounted onto a mount point on the Mini. Whenever pressing a key on the remote requires more info to be pulled over the network it takes a couple of seconds. This has been the case since the first GUI2/SDK4 release, and seems marginally faster in this release, but not fast enough to stop complaints. I've moved the jukebox files onto the local hard rive attached to the Mini, which is a pain in itself - either turning SAMBA on and waiting 45 mins for the copy to take place - or moving the drive back to my PC. Either way this Mini is suposed to be a network streamer, and the Jukebox should be able to live on a network share with no performance hit. It can in the SDK3 firmware