[HOW TO] Share Folders on Windows 7 - Method 2
Estimated Time: 10 min
Level: Average / Advanced
Operating System(s): Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit (It should work with Win7 OS family)
Firmware: Tested with v7.06.r3400 and v7.06.r2901
Devices : PlayonHD via wireless to WRT160N via wireless to Win7 PC
This guide is purely just another simplified version of the existing one. I have personally tested it without performing any registry edit or tweaking. Please note that Guest Account wasn’t turned on as well. It should work for all Windows 7 family products. This guide contains two parts. Please don’t flame me if it wouldn’t work for you. Let us know your exact issue, we will try to figure out for you.Part 1 – Network settings and configurationsPart 2 – Configurations of folder (Sharing and Permission)For those who still have issues after performing Harro's HOW TO, try this and see if it works.Part 1 – Network settings and configurations
1. Press Start, go to Control Panel. Go to System. Part 2 – Configuration of folder (Sharing and Permission)
Please check if the workgroup is named as WORKGROUP. If not, please amend and restart your system for changes to be applied.
2. Go back to Control Panel, Go to Network and Sharing Center. Please check your Active Network, make sure that it is under Home network or Work network.
Else, please amend the correct Network location.
3. Go to Change Advance Sharing Setting to check other settings. Under Advance Sharing Settings, please check the following:
a. Network discovery - On
b. File and printer sharing - On
c. Public folder sharing - Off
d. File sharing connection - Use 128-bit encryption
e. Password protected sharing - Off
f. HomeGroup - Use User accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
Please make sure that the settings are correct. Please amend them to the correct settings and log off your account to apply changes.
Once done, you may refer to Part 2 – Configuration of folders (Sharing and Permission).
1. Proceed to the folder that you wish to share over network. Right click on the folder, you should see a list of properties, highlight Share with and you should see an arrowed out menu. Select Specific people...
2. Under file sharing window dialog, you should see a drop down menu.
3. Click on it and select Everyone and click on Add. (Edit - By the way, I have tested on selecting GUEST, it works too.)
4. Then click Share. Once it's successful shared, you will see a similar dialog box.
You can also double confirm it on your file explorer, highlight the folder and it should reflect that status is Shared. Refer to below.
There you’re done. Now go back to your Playon!HD and try it out. You should see the shared folders under NETWORK / WORKGROUP / XXXXX-PC (XXXXX = Your PC name) / Folders that you have shared.
If you have still have issues, check your Firewall Settings and Anti Virus Program.
Hope this helps.
Product SpecialistA.C.Ryan Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
60 Kaki Bukit Place #01-12 Eunos Techpark Lobby A S(415979)
Operating hours: 9.30am to 7.00pm Monday – FridayT
+65 6748 3218 F
+65 6748 4568 W www.acryan.com