Re: Latest release firmware broke the up/down buttons
Yes, I can press enter and choose the channel from the list, but this is IMHO a step down from the behavior that I am used to, but something like this I see a quite fundamental and a bit of a worry that it changed because:
- 99.9% (a guess I admit, but very likely) of audio/visual devices have channel up & channel down buttons for good reason
- Changing a one button operation [moving from channel 5 to 6] into a three button operation is a pretty big impact on functionality
- The users guide says on page 35 "up/down" : "press to switch channels"
As the new SDK was a big change, I completely understand that the behavior can change and hence my patience [original post is almost 2 months old] and asking for help rather than screaming. I'd really like this to be considered to be a MAJOR usability bug and fixed, but I'm happy to "hack" something in (if possible) if others do not agree.
Firmware v8.0.20.r3120 - Asian Edition v8.0.20.r3120 Initial firmware release(s) 21/07/2010
Firmware v8.0.20.r3420 - Asian Edition v8.0.20.r3420 05/08/2010
Firmware v8.3.2.r3582 - Asian Edition v8.3.2.r3582 18/11/2010
Firmware v8.3.2.r4824 - Asian Edition v8.3.2.r4824 02/12/2010
Firmware v8.5.3.r3966 - Asian Edition v8.5.3.r3966 Change log 10/06/2011
*Firmware_PV76120_v8.5.3.r5440_Asian_RC v8.5.3.r5440 Release Candidate
Firmware v8.5.3.r7317 - Asian Edition v8.5.3.r7317 Change log 07/02/2012
Given the firmware list above, I assume the new SDK started in "v8.5.3.r3966"... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just downgraded to v8.5.3.r5440 and the up/down buttons worked the old way
! They only seem to have "broken" once we got to v8.5.3.r7317
Just a couple of comments on the "SDK ( firmware that is +1 years old)" that probably won't win me any good will, but unfortunately I can't help the need to vent...
- Firmware releases are somewhat sporadic
- No one knows if/when new releases may come
- Many would consider releases too few & far between
- The forum appears to contain a whole host of issues awaiting firmware updates
- Firmware updates seem to introduce as many problems than they fix
If AC Ryan doesn't plan to do any more firmware updates, it might be a nice gesture to make the code open source for the community to get into.
PS: I'm a long time user and generally happy, just particularly passionate about usability as my wife refuses to use it the way it is and just goes back to using the TV. This completely stuffs me up as the one thing I particularly love, timeshift, always happens to be on a different channel on the DVR than the TV!